Saturday, May 12, 2012

GOTR

Jennifer, Sarah, and Me Pre Race
Girls on the Run 5k race was today! My 10-year-old niece is in the GOTR program, so she and my SIL, Jennifer, were doing the race! I was so excited to run this with them. Jennifer doesn't run, so I had decided before hand that I wasn't going to try to PR, and I would run with her and walk when she needed to walk.

Before we started it was raining a little bit, but it stopped pretty much, as soon as the race started. Jennifer was asking when there would be water and I told her that there is usually water around Mile 1. We passed the 1 Mile marker and there was no water. She said "You said there would be water!" I told her "There will be! It probably right up here!" It wasn't much further up. We got water and started running again.

The Keeper of the Plains with Exploration Place (pointy building) the background Source
I REALLY liked the course! It ran right by the river and past one of our museums, Exploration Place, that has some really pretty water and bridges. Then it crossed the river at the Keeper of the Plains.

We crossed the bridge at Keep of the Plains and it had the 2 Mile marker on the bridge! There was another water station at about 2.5 miles and there were some people with some inspirational signs! One of my favorites was the one about courage. "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." I think of that quote often. I feel like it describes me perfectly! I pointed it out to Jennifer!

After we passed the signs, I looked at my phone and saw that, even with the walking we were doing, I was on time to PR. So I started pushing Jen more! The last time she stopped to walk was at about 2.9 miles in, so I didn't stop, I continued running.

I've said it before, but there is really nothing like the finish line! There are lots of people cheering you on, telling you "You're almost there! You're doing great!" Then to see the finish and just to push so hard and give it everything you have, and then you cross the finish and you feel so proud!

Me, Jen, and Sarah Post Race
When I saw the finish line, I saw that the clock said 42 something and I just started gunning it! I crossed the finish and there are boy scouts and firemen there giving out pins and carnations. Then they had water and bananas and apples and the best freaking salted caramel biscotti that I've ever had!

Jennifer 2 and I
After the race I saw a girl I know from running and Facebook. Her name is Jennifer too and we chatted a bit. She told me that she did this race last year as her very first race and she took 10 minutes off her time! That is awesome! We got a post race photo, also!

I was so bummed about not being able to wear the race shirt. Oh well, I'll wear it next year!

All in all, this was a great race! I'm glad I got to run with my family and I'm glad I PR'd!

3 comments:

  1. Yay!! I'm running the GOTR 5k next saturday, and it's going to be my first race! I'm super excited!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fun race! I can't wait to do it again next year!

      Delete