Sunday, January 22, 2012

Ouch!

Yesterday we had our Saturday group run for Start2Finish. It was 5 min walk 90 sec jog 90 sec walk 3 min jog 3 min walk x2. It was SO much harder than Wednesday! I'm in for a real treat next week when we start jogging more and walking less. But I'm doing so much better already. I just think that a couple weeks ago we were only jogging for 30 seconds at a time and I've already progressed a lot!

I also had an appointment with my trainer yesterday at 9am after the run. We did TRX which is strength training that uses your body weight. You use these straps. It can be harder or easier depending on how you stand.
It totally kicked my butt though. After we were done, I was walking down the stairs to leave and I wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it down! My whole body felt like a noodle! And today I am SO sore! My freaking trapezius is sore! I don't think my trapezius has ever been sore! He also had me do some cardio on the ARC trainer (elliptical thing) and my heart rate was about 155-160 the whole time and he said that was good because I was at the top of my cardio... whatever that means. I told him that when it gets that high, it kind of worries me, but he said that it was fine as long as I felt fine. I'll see him again for my last free session in a few weeks. I'm thinking about maybe paying for a session once a month or something. We'll see.

I made Sweet Potato Lentil Chili for lunch and I think I'll share the recipe. I was super delicious and only about 3 WW Points Plus per serving!





I got the recipe here, but made a few changes.


Sweet Potato Lentil Chili
Makes one large pot (5 quarts) – serves about 8 to 10


Ingredients
  • 1 32oz container veggie broth (low sodium if possible, I used vegetable stock that I got from recently steaming vegetables)
  • 1.5 C water
  • 3 (14.5oz) cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 16oz package dried lentils, rinsed
  • 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
  • 3 carrots, sliced (I used 1/2 cup carrot puree that I had in the freezer since I had no carrots)
  • 3 stalks celery, sliced (optional, I did not have any, so I did not use)
  • 1 green pepper, sliced
  • 1 to 2 cloves garlic, diced
  • Huge handful kale (optional, I did not have any, so I did not use)
  • 2 Tbsp cumin
  • 1 Tbsp cinnamon (I, again, did not have any so I did not use, but I did use 1 tbsp of pumpkin butter, which I think has cinnamon in it...)
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • Hot sauce (optional – to taste, I didn't use)
Instructions
1) Add the veggie broth, water, diced tomatoes, and rinsed lentils into a large pot. Bring the mixture to a boil and let it simmer for about 10 minutes (to soften the lentils) while you’re chopping the garlic, carrots, sweet potatoes, celery, and green pepper.
2) Throw the garlic, kale, carrots, and sweet potato into the simmering pot, followed about 5 minutes later by the celery and green pepper and your spices (I threw it all in at the same time). The room will now proceed to smell awesome (this is true!).
3) Let the mixture continue to simmer, stirring frequently, until it reaches the level of cooked consistency you prefer. This shouldn’t take long (maybe 5 to 10 minutes more) – just make sure the carrots, sweet potatoes, and lentils are soft (I found that it took about 30 minutes for mine to get to the soft consistency that I wanted...).

No comments:

Post a Comment